This Caraway Jack Cheese Log is creamy, easy to make, and packed with interesting flavors. It is a delicious appetizer for any party.
The Sunset Appetizer Book was first published in 1965 and is packed with interesting recipes. My favorite section is the chapter on spreads and dips, where the majority of the recipes are basically salty, savory, cheese packed fat bombs. My favorite category of food!
Along side this Caraway Jack Cheese Log, the cookbook has a Camembert Dip, a Gouda Cheese Spread, and a Samsoe Cheese Ball. I want to make them all one day and have a 1960’s cheese ball party.
ADD A LITTLE SUMPIN’
So this Caraway Jack Cheese Log is packed with interesting flavors. The caraway seeds give the cheese log an earthy and slightly peppery flavor.
Also, if you choose to use beer in this recipe, the type of beer you use will also add some fun layers of flavor to the cheese log. I use Lagunitas Little Sumpin’ Ale, which gives the rich cheese bomb a slightly hoppy flavor. It is quite delicious! I serve the finished cheese log with simple water crackers, but you could also serve it with some crunchy veggies.
A 1,235 pound cheese ball in Massachusetts rolled across the White House lawn?!? Well, that is how the legend goes! Apparently the first cheese ball was created by Elder John Leland of Cheshire, Massachusetts.
Once his creation was completed he transported that ball of cheese to President Thomas Jefferson, where he rolled it across the lawn.That is so much cheese. I don’t think anyone could ever finish it!
Okay cheese lovers! Make this recipe, share it with friends, and tell me in the comments below how much you love it!
1960’s CARAWAY JACK CHEESE LOG RECIPE TIPS
-If you need to serve this cheese log stat, don’t worry about refrigerating it. Instead, don’t worry about shaping it into a log, toss it all in a bowl and eat up!
-If you do have time to refrigerate this log of goodness, the flavors definitely come together nicely the longer you let it chill.
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup beer or heavy cream
- 3/4 pound grated jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Using a spatula, stir cream cheese until smooth.
- Gradually stir in beer or cream.
- Mix in jack cheese, caraway seeds and seasoned salt. Adding more salt to taste.
- Sprinkle the parmesan on wax paper (which you have cut to at least 14” long) and evenly spoon cheese mixture onto parmesan. Using your hands or the back of your spatula shape cheese into a log about 12 inches long. Press cheese into the outside of the log and roll up into the parchment.
- Chill until firm, about 2 hours.
- Serve with crackers and veggies.