Sure to become a summer classic, this No-Bake Berry Icebox Cake is light, easy, and packed with perfectly ripe berries.
Icebox cakes are one of my favorite desserts to make during the summer. So easy, so delicious, so retro, and no need to heat the house to face melting temperatures when it crosses 100 degrees in Los Angeles (seriously, anything to keep the oven off during the summer)! Any vintage-inspired recipe that doesn’t require an oven brings so much joy to my heart!
I’m in love with icebox cakes not only because of the reasons above but also because they are super versatile. If you have guests who die for decadent, caramel and chocolate everything, make them my Caramel Coconut Icebox Cake. Or if you are serving a friend who kills for berry packed desserts, this No-Bake Berry Icebox Cake may bring them to tears.
Lightly sweetened layers of whipped mascarpone cream and classic honey graham crackers make the foundation for this No-Bake Berry Icebox Cake, but between those layers is the star! The berries truly make this recipe special.
Before the berries are layered between the fluffy mascarpone cream, toss the raspberries with a little raspberry liqueur and sugar; and the blueberries in a little lemon juice, zest, and sugar. The sugar and liquids added help soften the berries and also add some fun flavors to the dessert. The raspberries taste more luscious from the liqueur, and the blueberries get a bump of brightness from the lemon. These little additions really take this No-Bake Berry Icebox Cake to another level.
And honestly, this is my favorite dessert on my blog! I almost died when I realized how good it is, so you should totally make it so you can understand how I feel.
IT’S JUST A GUIDELINE
This retro recipe is loosely based on a recipe from the Majestic Recipe Book, which was published in 1931 for the Majestic Refrigerator company. The recipes in the book are written to be used And when I say “loosely,” I mean it. The original is basically a guideline for making icebox cakes and gives the direction to layer lady fingers and any filling you’d like into a spring form pan. There are more specific recipes in the book, including some with layers of fruit which I also took inspiration from.
The book is quite fun to read thru, and I’m super excited to try more of the icebox cake recipes soon! It’s going to be icebox cake party all day, every day in my home!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Are you on the No-Bake Berry Icebox Cake train? I hope you are, and I’d love to see how your version comes out, so post your pics on my Facebook page!
NO-BAKE BERRY ICEBOX CAKE RECIPE TIPS
-I love icebox cakes because they are super versatile! So, play around with this recipe! Use blueberries only, make a spiked whipped cream, or even try a different cookie!
-Don’t do alcohol? No problem! Just omit the raspberry liqueur, it will still be delicous.
-If possible, try to purchase your berries from your local farmer’s market. The flavor will be amazing!
-So I obviously made the cute design on top of the icebox cake to celebrate the Fourth of July. If you don’t want to do the design, guess what? You don’t have to! You could totally just toss berries right on top and everyone will still want to eat the cake.
These reviews of my No-Bake Berry Icebox Cake are directly from the Cup of Zest community! Want your review featured? Make sure to tag me when sharing about the recipe or email me your review!
This No-Bake Berry Icebox Cake is the perfect summer dessert! No need to turn that oven on and it’s packed with tons of summer ripe berries. Party winner!
- 3 cups raspberries, divided
- 1 tablespoons raspberry liqueur
- 3 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 1/2 cups blueberries, divided
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 16 to18 honey graham crackers
- Toss 2 1/2 cups raspberries with 1 tablespoon raspberry liqueur and 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Toss 2 cups blueberries with 1 teaspoon lemon zest, juice of half of the lemon, and 2 teaspoons sugar. (Save remaining 1/2 cup raspberries and 1/2 cup blueberries for topping the icebox cake)
- Beat mascarpone cheese, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, and vanilla extract together in a large bowl to combine.
- Slowly stream in the heavy cream and beat on low speed to combine. Gradually increase speed to medium-high and beat until medium peaks form, about 2 minutes. Feel free to use a stand mixer if you’d prefer!
- To assemble the icebox cake, begin by spreading 1 cup whipped mascarpone cream evenly onto the bottom of an 8-inch by 10-inch dish.
- Top with four graham crackers, breaking crackers as needed to fill any gaps. Evenly spread with 1 cup of mascarpone cream, top with raspberries and another layer of mascarpone cream. Repeat layering with remaining ingredients ending with a layer of mascarpone cream.
- Top your beautifully layered No Bake Berry Icebox Cake with reserved berries and serve!
Inspired by the General Guidelines for making an icebox cake in the 1931, “Majestic Recipe Book.”