This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This super decadent Caramel Coconut Icebox Cake is full of rich buttery caramel, mascarpone cream, coconut, dark chocolate, and honey graham crackers. It is sure to become one of your favorite no-bake desserts!
I didn't know what an icebox cake was until about a year and a half ago while I was working at Hungry-Girl full-time. I tested a recipe for a healthy peach berry icebox cake. I read the recipe with some doubt, because it just seemed odd, but it came out very well, and I fell in love with the concept!
For those of you in the dark about icebox cakes, they basically have layers of wafer or cookie along with layers of whipped cream or pudding. You assemble the layers, let it hang out in the fridge for a while to let the cookies absorb a ton of moisture from the whipped cream and get deliciously soft. You know what I mean... just like the amazingness of graham crackers soaked in milk and then eaten with a spoon when you were a kid. Or was that just me?
Anyway, according to the website that knows all, Wikipedia, icebox cakes were popular in the 1920's and 30's and traditionally, in America, were made with chocolate pudding. Nowadays, people are making them with tons of interesting and fun layers. Buzzfeed (which is probably my favorite time suck) posted a list of 27 delicious no-bake icebox cakes. Seriously, check out that list! There is some crazy delicious looking stuff there. When I saw that list, I decided that I needed to make my own version inspired by my favorite chocolate bar from Trader Joe's. The Caramel Coconut Icebox Cake is born!
That chocolate bar is great, and if you love caramel and coconut, you should really try it. The flavors are rich and balanced, and it really was a great thing to turn into a no-bake dessert. The flavors of my Coconut Caramel Icebox Cake are also balanced, but focus more on the caramel, coconut, and mascarpone cream (ever since I made the grilled peaches with mascarpone cream I haven't been able to get enough of it!). The buttery, salty, richness of the caramel goes great with the coconut and...I seriously wish I had a slice of it now 😉
Luckily this recipe isn't too difficult to throw together. You can make the mascarpone cream in a few minutes, and if you don't want to make some easy caramel sauce from scratch because of time, you can totally purchase some pre-made. I strongly recommend that you do make the caramel from scratch though if you have the time! The richness of it will really bring your Caramel Coconut Icebox Cake to the awesome level it deserves.
Make this icebox cake, eat it all with friends, and let me know in the comments what you thought!
Caramel Coconut Icebox Cake
- 8 oz 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups salted caramel sauce room temp (easy caramel sauce recipe)
- ½ cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 dark chocolate bar around 3 oz, finely chopped
- 24 honey graham crackers
- Place mascarpone cheese, sugar, vanilla extract, and salt into a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whisk on medium speed until well mixed. Reduce speed to low and stream in the heavy cream. Once the cream is added, scrape down the sides of the bowl, slowly increase the speed to medium and whisk until medium-firm peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Mix the coconut into the caramel sauce.
- Evenly spread a ¼ cup of the mascarpone cream onto a 9x13 platter or baking sheet. Place six graham crackers in a single layer on top of the cream . Evenly spread ½ cup of the mascarpone cream on top of the graham crackers, followed by ½ cup of the caramel coconut sauce, 2 tbsp. chopped chocolate, another ½ cup mascarpone cream, and then six more graham crackers. Repeat layering in the same order with the remaining ingredients. The top layer will be six graham crackers, the remaining cream (about ½ cup) and the remaining chopped chocolate.
- Cover the cake and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours.