Learning how to pop popcorn on the stovetop is super easy, lots of fun, and the perfect snack to share when you have a movie night with friends!
Are you ready to move on from making microwave popcorn? Ready to take the EASY leap to the stovetop with your little popcorn kernels. Yeah, you are and I’m going to show you how to do it with these easy steps and fun how-to video.
BUT MICROWAVE POPCORN IS SO CONVENIENT
If you’re still on the fence about learning how to make popcorn on the stovetop you’re probably thinking…
Microwave popcorn is so convenient. Microwave popcorn is so fast. Microwave popcorn is so tasty.
I’m here to tell you that the perks of making popcorn on the stove definitely outweigh the convenience of microwave popcorn and it will definitely taste better than your standard bag of microwave popcorn.
WHY LEARN HOW TO POP POPCORN ON THE STOVETOP
My top reason for showing you how to cook popcorn on the stove is because YOU ARE IN CONTROL!
Don’t you love being in control of the ingredients you use, the quality of butter you top your popcorn with, or the delish flake salt you sprinkle on top. It’s so much better than being stuck with the stuff in the microwave bag.
Not only do you get to control the quality of ingredients you use, but you also can get creative with toppings.
You could go the traditional route and try some salt and clarified butter. Or maybe you’re into the sweet stuff. Cinnamon and Sugar would be your go-to option! If you’re into trying new things I highly recommend sprinkling some furikake on your perfectly popped popcorn. The toppings are endless!
IMPRESS YOUR FRIENDS WITH A POPCORN PARTY
When you take the jump and start making popcorn on the stovetop, you must have a popcorn party. Basically, you could use your new popcorn popping skills as an excuse to have friends over for a movie night!
Making a couple of batches of the and top them differently and put on a fun movie. It’s an easy way to host a casual party and can be super fun.
WATCH THE VIDEO FOR EXTRA TIPS
In the video at the top of this post, I share some extra tips and visual cues for you when you decide to pop popcorn on the stovetop!
The video is quick, fun and very much in a Food Network style. I hope you like it and it helps you with your popcorn cooking adventure.
If you like the video, make sure to check out the Cup of Zest YouTube channel and subscribe so you don’t miss any other videos!
HOW TO POP POPCORN ON THE STOVETOP RECIPE TIPS
- The oil you use matters! Definitely use something with a high smoke point, like canola oil, grapeseed oil, or peanut oil.
- Since you are in control, use the best ingredients you can! Since this is such a simple recipe (literally just two necessary ingredients), the quality of your ingredients will make a difference in the final outcome of the recipe. I like using Bob’s Red Mill corn kernels.
- Topping you’re freshly popped popcorn with butter? You’ll want to use clarified butter to do that! Melted butter without clarifying will have a high water content, which will give you super soggy popcorn. Clarifying it first will act closer to the butter-flavored oil that movie theaters use. Here’s a video on how to clarify butter.
Learn How to Pop Popcorn on the Stovetop Easily!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or other high smoke point oil
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- Flake Salt or other seasoning to taste
- When the kernels pop, remove the pot from the heat and discard (or eat!) the popped kernels. Add the rest of the kernels, place the lid on the pot and shake it to coat the kernels in the hot oil.
- Wait for 30 seconds so the kernels evenly heat up. Return to medium-high heat with the lid ajar.
- Cook, shaking the pot often, until the popping of the kernels slows down, about 3 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat, keeping the lid ajar, until the popping stops.
- Season your popcorn while warm and eat by the handfuls!