Learn How to Make Crispy Baked Chicken Wings at home! Forget about hot grease or deep frying because these easy baked wings are restaurant-worthy and super crispy.
Learn how to bake crispy chicken wings at home
Once you learn How to Make Crispy Baked Chicken Wings at home, you’ll never want to deep fry again! This recipe uses a handful of pantry-staple ingredients and a little bit of science to achieve the perfect oven-fried chicken wing. Follow the recipe carefully for the best results!
There are 3 secrets to super crispy baked wings:
- Coat them in cornstarch, salt, and aluminum-free baking powder (NOT baking soda).
- Let them dry out for several hours.
- Bake them on a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet.
This tried and true process will give you perfect wings every time. They can even be prepped up to 12 hours ahead of time and don’t require any babysitting (unlike deep-fried wings).
Making chicken wings with baking powder vs baking soda
The secret to truly crispy chicken wings is to coat them in aluminum-free baking powder. According to Serious Eats, baking powder will soak up the chicken juices on the wing and will bubble as it bakes in the oven. The end result is a blistered, browned, and crispy chicken wing!
Coating chicken wings in baking soda (instead of baking powder) will raise the pH and can help brown and crisp the wing as well. The one major downfall? Baking powder will make your wings metallic tasting.
Baked chicken wing ingredients
While these baked chicken wings use simple, pantry-staple ingredients, each one plays an important role in achieving a very crispy wing. Try not to make any substitutions to this list:
Make sure to separate the flats and drumettes if your wings come connected. Dry them really well with paper towels so the cornstarch and baking powder sticks to the skin.
Aluminum-free baking powder
Coating the wings in aluminum-free baking powder, which you can find at most major grocery stores, will help the chicken skin bubble and blister in the oven without affecting the overall flavor.
DO NOT replace the baking powder with baking soda. While it can crisp up your wings, baking soda will give them a strong metallic flavor.
The baking powder and cornstarch work together to dry out the wing and form a crispy coating on the outside. The longer you let the wings sit in this coating, the better!
Once the wings are done baking, toss them in your favorite wing sauce. Buffalo sauce is a classic choice or you can use any of the options I listed below.
How to make crispy baked chicken wings
I’ll show you how to make super crispy buffalo wings in just a few simple steps:
Step 1: Dry the chicken wings very well with paper towels.
Step 2: Sprinkle the baking powder, cornstarch, and salt over the top of the wings in a bowl. Toss to coat.
Step 3: Place the coated wings on a wire rack. Let them chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour or up to 12 hours.
Step 4: Bake the wings until they're crisp and golden brown.
Step 5: Toss in warm buffalo sauce, then serve and enjoy!
Tips and tricks
Follow these tips and tricks to make the best baked wings ever:
Let them rest!
The longer you leave the coated wings to chill and dry out, the crispier they’ll become. Let them rest for at least 1 hour or up to 12 hours in the fridge.
Bake them on a wire rack
Baking the wings on a wire rack on top of a baking sheet will circulate more air in and around the wings. If you were to only use a rimmed baking sheet, the wings would steam and turn out soggy.
Dress up your wings!
Once your pile of crispy baked wings is ready, it’s time to add the sauce! Toss the wings in any of these classic sauces:
- Buffalo sauce
- Ranch dressing
- Barbecue sauce
- Hot sauce
- Honey garlic
Don’t forget the blue cheese dressing or jalapeno Greek yogurt dip and fresh cut veggies on the side for dipping!
Frequently asked questions
The best temperature for baking chicken wings in the oven is 425ºF.
If your wings aren’t getting crispy, make sure you’re completing all of these steps before baking:
1. Pat the chicken wings dry with paper towels.
2. Thoroughly coat them in a baking powder (not baking soda), cornstarch, and salt mixture.
3. Place the wings in an even layer on a wire rack over a baking sheet.
4. Leave them to dry out and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour (or up to 12 hours).
5. Bake them in a 425ºF oven for no longer than 1 hour (to avoid overcooking).
You can prep and coat the wings up to 12 hours before baking. Once coated, place them on the wire rack and keep them in the fridge.
🎉 It's time to cook! 🎉
Alright, friend! It's your turn to make this delish recipe for your next get-together.
When you do, please leave a comment below so we can hear what you think!
How to Make Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and place a wire baking rack on top of each. Spray the racks with nonstick spray.
- Place wings in a large bowl and thoroughly dry with paper towels.
- Mix baking powder, cornstarch, and salt together in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the baking powder mixture evenly over the wings and toss to coat.
- Evenly place on the racks and chill for at least 1 hour and up to 12.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Bake the wings for 30 minutes. Flip the wings, and continue to bake until they are crisp and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Toss in the warm wing sauce and serve immediately.
- DO NOT use baking soda. Please use aluminum free baking powder.