Make this rich, sweet, and spiced hot buttered rum recipe during the winter months to warm up!
For the holidays I wanted to share a hot boozy drink with my family while we celebrated at my parents’ house freezing cold house (well…cold for me, it was 45 degrees here…I’m sure some of you have much colder weather).
I wanted something simple to whip up and even test while spending time with the family. A little research and I came across hot buttered rum, which was nothing I’d ever tasted. I thought it was an interesting idea…butter, booze, and sugar, yes please!
So, I picked up the ingredients from my favorite store, Trader Joe’s (maybe not the smartest decision because the parking was soooo terrible two days before Christmas), and after picking up my gramps from LAX and then driving 4 hours in horrendous traffic to my parents (my poor grandpa…I cussed so much while leaving LAX), I was so ready to make some hot buttered rum.
So out came the butter, rum, sugar, and spices. Easy peasy…but I also wanted to make the drink a little more interesting. My step-mom suggested using up some of the mandarins and the pomegranate juice she had in the fridge. Both were perfect additions to the spiced hot buttered rum!
An awesome thing about testing the recipes with family was getting their opinions on the drinks…best comment came from my gramps while he was drinking the mandarin hot buttered rum, “It tastes great, but it gives you slippery lips.” That started a ton of dirty comments >)
Although the holidays are over, this drink is great for the remainder of the winter months (it will go great with an apple cider vinegar caramelized onion grilled cheese) so give it a try and give yourself and your loved ones some slippery lips!
- Make sure your water comes to a rolling boil and any of the juices you add are also hot when assembling your drink. You definitely want to drink this hot buttered rum piping hot!
- Reheat your drink as needed, you don’t want to butter to get too cold…it will start to separate from the drink, which is gross!
- Feel free to mix up a big pot of this, but I like to add the butter and rum to each serving (a little OCD here), just keep it hot on the stove top and give it a good stir before serving.
- Use high quality unsalted butter. I use and love Kerrygold.
Hot Buttered Rum
- 8 ounces dark rum
- 4 tablespoons unsalted high quality butter
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pomegranate juice and pomegranate arils
- Zest and juice from mandarin oranges
- Evenly distribute the rum and butter between four 8-ounce mugs.
- Place the water, sugar and spices in a small pot and bring to a boil, whisking occasionally to dissolve the sugar.
- Evenly distribute that boiling, sweet and spiced water between the mugs and stir well to melt the butter.
- Drink it piping hot and if you want to get adventurous, add in either of the following additions!
- If you want to add in either (or a combo of both) of these awesome additions…make sure the juice is super hot. You want to make sure you keep your drink piping hot while drinking it, and cold juice will drastically reduce its temp.
- Add in 2 tablespoons of pomegranate juice in each cup along with some arils for garnish.
- Add in the zest and juice of one mandarin orange in each cup.
Feel free to mix up a big pot of this, but I like to add the butter and rum to each serving (a little OCD here), just keep it hot on the stove top and give it a good stir before serving.
Use high quality unsalted butter. I use and love Kerrygold.