These Chocolate Chunk Candy Cane Cookies are a great cookie to make for holiday parties, plus, Santa Claus LOVES them.
A SPECIAL GUEST NEEDS A SPECIAL RECIPE
When Santa Claus and I decided that we were going to bake together this holiday season I knew that I needed to develop the perfect cookie to make with him. It was my first time doing a live broadcast with a guest and this guest is very special, so I didn’t want to disappoint him OR you!
EVERYONE LOVES A CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE
I landed on these Chocolate Chunk Candy Cane Cookies. A chocolate chip cookie is a classic, which I love about it, but I also jazzed it up for the holidays. In went the dark chocolate chunks, because they add a rich depth to the cookie and a few crushed up candy canes because it’s Santa. Obviously!
The cookie is also made with all dark brown sugar which makes for a chewy cookie with a little crunch around the edges. That’s the best part of a chocolate chip cookie…a chewy center with a little crunch, I die for that combo.
BAKING = MEMORIES
Overall, these Chocolate Chunk Candy Cane Cookies are really delicious and they are really fun to make with someone, as I’m sure you saw in the video! This holiday season I highly encourage you to make a batch of these Chocolate Chunk Candy Cane Cookies with someone you love. You’ll create lasting memories and some good cookies! Oh, and if you’re into it, you should make a batch of my Hot Buttered Rum. It goes nicely with a straight out of the oven cookie.
ALL ABOUT MY FRIEND SANTA CLAUS
This Santa Claus is my friend Santa True, and he’s a professional Santa Claus in the Los Angeles area. We met thru a historical reenactment group years ago and we’ve been trying to get together for a holiday video for a while. When we were able to work something out this year I was thrilled!
As you can see in the video he is a pro and really good at being Santa. If you’re looking for a high-quality Santa Claus for you next gettogether, project, commercial, etc., he’s your guy. Check out him out at Santa True to see all of the amazing things he does!
CHOCOLATE CHUNK CANDY CANE COOKIES RECIPE TIPS
-You’ll probably need to bake these off in 2 batches. 3 dozen cookies won’t quite fit on two baking sheets! If you do end up baking them in batches, make sure that the baking sheets you use are cool before using them.
-Want to freeze this dough? You totally can! Roll out the dough into balls about the size of a tablespoon. Chill them in the fridge until firm to the touch and toss them into a freezer friendly ziptop bag or container. Freeze them and when you want to bake a cookie, place them on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees until lightly browned around the edges.
Chocolate Chunk Candy Cane Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup tightly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chunks I love dark chocolate!
- 2 ounces candy canes about 2 large candy canes, roughly crushed
- Optional: a little flake salt to top your cookies once they have baked it’s optional, but I highly recommend it
- Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl.
- Using an electric hand mixer, cream together butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla extract.
- On low speed, beat in flour to just combine. Mix in chocolate chunks and crushed candy canes.
- Let your cookie dough to chill for at least 1 hour up to overnight before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Evenly spoon cookie dough but the heaping tablespoon onto two parchment-lined baking sheets, and bake until your cookies have lightly browned, 12-14 minutes.
- Let those babies cool just enough so you can pick them up and devour them!