This apple cider vinegar caramelized onion grilled cheese is packed with melt in your mouth onions and tons of flavor...make it now and pop it into your mouth!
It has been a little stormy in Los Angeles the past few weeks (or maybe just days...it feels like weeks though!) I'm actually more of a sunny weather fan and although I enjoy a little rain here and there...and we really need it...I'm already over it. Bring back the sunny warm weather for Christmas please!!!
One thing I am actually enjoying about this weather is how great it feels to curl up on the couch in a comfy blanket with this apple cider vinegar caramelized onion grilled cheese and binge watch New Girl (I really am in love with that show). Last week I posted the recipe for apple cider vinegar caramelized onions and I figured I should just keep rolling with it and throw those onions in some sourdough with sharp cheddar...the result is delicious.
The sharp cheddar and the apple cider vinegar onions go so well together in this sandwich. I LOVE it and would eat it everyday if someone wanted to caramelize onions for me all the time 🙂
Here are a couple of my tips for making this awesome grilled cheese:
-Don't rush it! Let your sandwich cook on medium heat so the bread slowly browns. If you notice that your beautiful sourdough is browning faster than your cheese is melting, just turn the heat down 🙂
-I love to use shredded cheese for grilled cheese sandwiches because I find it melts more evenly than slices from a brick of cheese...I can never slice cheese from a brick evenly, which often results in some undermelted pieces of cheese in my grilled cheeses.
-Make sure to place cheese on both sides of the onions...it helps keep the onions in place and...it means more melt-y cheese for your face!
Apple Cider Vinegar Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese
- 4 large slices sourdough bread
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar caramelized onions
- a couple cranks of coarse black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- kosher salt
- Top one slice of bread with a quarter of the shredded cheese, half of the caramelized onions, a couple cranks of coarse black pepper, and another quarter of the shredded cheese. Place another slice of bread on top of the cheese, spread with about a quarter of the butter and lightly sprinkle with a little kosher salt.
- Repeat with the remaining bread, cheese, onions, and quarter of butter.
- Bring a large skillet to medium heat and add the sandwiches butter side down. Spread the remaining butter onto the slices of bread that are facing up and lightly sprinkle with a little kosher salt.
- Cook until the bread is beautifully browned and the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes per side.