A refreshing granita made with watermelon, mint, lime juice, rum, and sugar. Super easy and delicious!
- 6 cups seedless watermelon cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1/2 large watermelon)
- 3/4 cup light rum
- 2/3 cup lime juice (about 8 limes)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup loosely packed mint leaves (about 10 large leaves)
- Place all ingredients into a large pot or bowl.
- Using an immersion blender and puree until smooth.
- Transfer pureed mixture into a 9×13 baking pan and place it in the freezer (you can cover the pan with plastic wrap if you like).
- Freeze for one hour. Using a spoon or fork, scrape the ice crystals that have formed around the edges of the pan and stir the mixture well. Return the pan to the freezer.
- Repeat the scraping and stirring process, every hour, until the mixture is slushy and frozen (usually 3-4 hours).
- Transfer granita to a freezer safe sealable container.
If you’d rather make this in a blender, feel free! Just note you probably will need to do so in batches.[br]To make the granita without the rum, just substitute equal parts water for rum. Please note the recipe was not tested with water, so your results may vary!