Creamy and rich, this Salted Hot Chocolate recipe is sure to impress.
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
Salted Chocolate Sauce
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons flake salt
- 3 cups milk
- For the whipped cream, combine cream and powdered sugar.
- Using your tool of choice (whisk, hand/stand mixer, food processor, etc.) whip to stiff peaks. Cover and refrigerate.
- For the salted chocolate sauce, set-up an ice bath.
- Place chopped chocolate and cold water in a medium pot.
- Over medium heat, constantly stir until chocolate has melted.
- Reduce heat to low and whisk until smooth.
- Add sugar and salt and continue to whisk until sugar has melted, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the sauce to the ice bath and whisk until chilled.
- Fold in 1/2 cup of the whipped cream.
- To serve, heat milk using any method you like, and combine 1/4 cup of the salted chocolate sauce with 1/2 cup of milk. Stir well.
- Top with a large spoonful of the remaining whipped cream and, if you like, a small sprinkle of flake salt.
Adapted from the 1933 [u]The Detroit News Menu Cook Book[/u]