A delicious and easy salsa verde chicken recipe that is great to make on a Sunday night and eat all week made with chicken, jarred salsa, onion, and garlic!
- Two 12 ounce jars salsa verde (about 3 cups)
- 3 cups water
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- Thigh quarters and breast pieces from one 4-pound chicken, bone in, skin removed
- Optional: cilantro
- Combine salsa, water, onion, and garlic in a medium-large pot with a lid. Stir well.
- Add chicken pieces and submerge under the salsa mixture. If the salsa mixture does not fully cover the chicken add a little more water, but not more than a 1/2 cup.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to a simmer, and cover. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, 20-30 minutes.
- Remove chicken and leave the salsa mixture in the pot. Set to high heat, and cook the salsa mixture until it is reduced by half stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- While the salsa mixture cooks, and once the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred the chicken meat and discard the bones.
- When the salsa mixture has reduced, stir the shredded chicken into the salsa mixture and, if you like, top with cilantro.
If you choose to use chicken pieces, you need about 2.75 pounds of bone in chicken thighs and or breast pieces.