- 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoons gelatin
- 2 cups hot strong coffee
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Reserve 1 tablespoon sugar and mix the remaining sugar and gelatin together thoroughly in a medium bowl.
- Add the hot coffee and lemon juice to the sugar and gelatin. Gently stir until the sugar and gelatin are fully dissolved.
- Pour into a 9 x 9 inch serving dish.
- Chill until set, at least 2 hours.
- Before serving, whip heavy cream, the reserved 1 tablespoon sugar, and vanilla extract together until soft peaks just begin to form.
- Distribute coffee jelly into small serving bowls and top with the slightly whipped cream and eat up!
Adapted from The Detroit News Menu Cook Book