- 3 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Optional: vanilla extract or other extracts to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil.
- Using an electric hand mixer, beat egg whites, sugar, water, corn syrup, and cream of tartar in a large glass or metal bowl to thoroughly combine.
- Place the bowl onto of the pot of boiling water and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat, beat in optional flavorings to taste (start with no more than 1/2 teaspoon), and use immediately.
This recipe makes enough frosting for one 3-layer cake.