This hot buttered rum recipe is rich, spiced, sweet, and easy to make! Try it with some pomegranate or mandarin orange juice.
- 8 ounces dark rum
- 4 tablespoons unsalted high quality butter
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pomegranate juice and pomegranate arils
- Zest and juice from mandarin oranges
- Evenly distribute the rum and butter between four 8-ounce mugs.
- Place the water, sugar and spices in a small pot and bring to a boil, whisking occasionally to dissolve the sugar.
- Evenly distribute that boiling, sweet and spiced water between the mugs and stir well to melt the butter.
- Drink it piping hot and if you want to get adventurous, add in either of the following additions!
- If you want to add in either (or a combo of both) of these awesome additions…make sure the juice is super hot. You want to make sure you keep your drink piping hot while drinking it, and cold juice will drastically reduce its temp.
- Add in 2 tablespoons of pomegranate juice in each cup along with some arils for garnish.
- Add in the zest and juice of one mandarin orange in each cup.
Reheat your drink as needed, you don’t want to butter to get too cold…it will start to separate from the drink, which is gross![br]Feel free to mix up a big pot of this, but I like to add the butter and rum to each serving (a little OCD here), just keep it hot on the stove top and give it a good stir before serving. [br]Use high quality unsalted butter. I use and love Kerrygold.