Don’t let these cute little Bacon Wrapped Liverwurst Burgers scare you! They are packed with flavor and make for a fun throwback recipe to make with your favorite vintage loving pals.
Liver…you either love it or hate it. Which side are you on? If you love the rich iron-flavored meat, you are in for a treat of a recipe! If you are on the “hate it” side of liver…I ask that you read on as I try to convince you that you want this meaty bundle of flavor in your mouth.
SO, ARE LIVERWURST BURGERS DELICIOUS?
When I originally saw this recipe in the pamphlet, “Meat Recipes You’ll Talk About,” (which also includes the original pie pan meatloaf recipe), I passed it up immediately. It wasn’t until an adventurous coworker of mine suggested we try it that I was interested in making it.
We tested the original recipe together, and guess what? It was delicious! The horseradish adds a slight bite and, come on…it’s wrapped in bacon.
As you can see, I ended up changing the original recipe slightly after the first test (I upped the onion and horseradish) and added a bright lemon-y sauce to top it. It’s a delicious and messy fat bomb. I definitely recommend making these for a party so you can share this throwback recipe adventure (and the calories) with friends!
If you love these vintage recipes, follow me on Instagram where I post other historical tidbits (also don’t forget to tag me @cupofzest when you make post your creations!)
BACON WRAPPED LIVERWURST SLIDERS RECIPE TIPS
-When wrapping the liverwurst patties with the bacon, make sure to do it not too tightly. The bacon will shrink and if it is wrapped too tightly it will squeeze the patties into a funky shape! If that does happen, no big deal, it will still be tasty 🙂
-Liverwurst can sometimes be difficult to find, but both Farmer John and Oscar Mayer both make it.
-Can’t get enough liverwurst? Over at Good Food Stories has a great recipe inspired by Mrs. Murray’s liverwurst sandwich from Madeleine L’Engle’s A Wrinkle in Time. Check it out!
- 3/4 cup minced onion divided
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound liverwurst
- 2 cups corn flakes crushed
- 1/4 cup creamy style horseradish
- 4 Slices bacon cut in half widthwise
- 1/2 cup mayo
- Juice and zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp. minced parsley
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 8 slider buns
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place 1/4 cup minced onion, garlic and olive oil on a piece of foil and close tightly. Place on the baking sheet and bake until onion has softened, about 20 minutes.
- While onions and garlic cook, make the liverwurst patties. Combine liverwurst, cornflakes, remaining onion, and horseradish together well and shape into 8 patties similar in width to your slider buns.
- Loosely wrap each patty with 1/2 slice bacon and secure with a toothpick or two.
- By now, the onions and garlic in the foil should be done, so remove those from the oven.
- Bring the oven to a broil and place the bacon wrapped patties on the baking sheet.
- Broil the patties for 5 minutes. Carefully flip, and cook until patties are hot and bacon is cooked through, about 5 more minutes.
- While patties cook, make the sauce. Combine mayo, lemon juice and zest, parsley, softened onions and garlic into a medium bowl and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread each slider bun evenly with sauce and top with patties and eat up(remember to remove those toothpicks before plating!).