Have you ever used the phrase “I’m too busy” as an excuse to get out of something? Do you ever say “I’m too busy” when a friend asks you to hang out? Is it always true when you say you’re too busy?
It’s an excuse we use way too often in our lives and I think it’s important to reconsider using it.
WHAT’S REALLY MAKING YOU TOO BUSY?
If you’re like most people you do think you’re too busy to hang out with your friends. You THINK you don’t have the time to do all the fun things you want to.
You work long hours, maybe you have a crazy commute and their lots of things to get done around the house.
On the other hand, how many shows have you binged recently? How many hours do you spend on Instagram or Pinterest?
According to this article from Inc., we spend over FOUR HOURS A DAY on our phones. That’s crazy!
Now I get it, I recently checked on my screen time and yeah, I’ve been spending a ton of time on my phone and my computer and I’ve been binging The Handmaid’s Tail (if you haven’t watched it yet, it’s good but super dark…so binging it may not be the best decision).
Anyway, I want you to consider if you’ve really been too busy to spend time with your friend or if you’ve just been using your time to do other things.
WHAT ARE YOU MISSING OUT ON?
Yeah, there are times when we are too busy with life. I get it.
When you’re using “I’m busy” as an excuse to get out things what are you really missing out on?
- Catching up with a friend you haven’t seen in a while?
- Hearing some news that someone close to you wants to share with you?
- Meeting someone new at a party who could end up being a great new friend?
Using the excuses like “I’m too busy” or “I’m tired” when you’re really not can put you in a position to miss out on a lot.
You get to choose how you spend your time in your life. You have the power to choose your priorities based on your values.
Yeah, if you have kids or someone else you take care of, you do have a responsibility to them. On the other hand, you also have a responsibility to yourself.
You need to make sure that you are spending your time in a way that brings you joy. Sometimes that is staying in an taking a bath, but you do need to see other people!
Choosing to take time for your friends and have those fun, joy-filled moments is definitely a great way to take care of yourself.
Think about your priorities, your values, and ask yourself if using the “I’m too busy” excuse to get out of things matches up with what you really want out of life.
READY TO CONNECT AGAIN?
If you’ve been missing out on spending time with your friends maybe it’s time to figure out how to spend time with them!
There are so many easy ways to reconnect with your people and you don’t need to host a huge party and prep for hours.
Here are few of my favorite quick and easy ways to spend with friends:
- Invite them over for a glass of wine or a cocktail! Just making an hour of time out of your day is a great way to reconnect. You can easily meet up someplace after work or have them stop by on their way home. Since you’re only committing to one drink (you’ll want to make the rose cocktail) and you’re doing it right after work, there is a pretty great built-in time restriction there. That way you both know from the get-go that it’s going to be a short, but fun meetup.
- Cook them dinner! You most likely already are cooking dinner for yourself, right? Make a little extra and have them over for a meal. There’s nothing like spending time and connecting with your people over food. Even if it’s a bagged salad and a frozen pizza you’re friends will love just hanging out with you. It’s an easy way to invite them over on a weeknight.
- Go for a walk together! You can meet up at a park or even at one of your places and get a little exercise in while catching up. This is a great option if you don’t feel like having anyone over but need a little quality in-person time with your friend.
WILL YOU STOP SAYING “I’M BUSY”?
Have you watched the video yet?
There are definitely a couple of tidbits that I didn’t go over here in this post. Make sure to watch it and share it with someone who could benefit from it!
When you’ve watched it, come back here and let’s talk in the comments. What are you going to do to change things up and make more time for your people?
Recipes for Entertaining
If you’re planning on having your friends over to reconnect, or even a fun cocktail party, here are some great recipes you can easily serve!