This apple cider vinegar caramelized onion grilled cheese is packed with melt in your mouth onions and tons of flavor!
- 4 large slices sourdough bread
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar caramelized onions
- a couple cranks of coarse black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- kosher salt
- Top one slice of bread with a quarter of the shredded cheese, half of the caramelized onions, a couple cranks of coarse black pepper, and another quarter of the shredded cheese. Place another slice of bread on top of the cheese, spread with about a quarter of the butter and lightly sprinkle with a little kosher salt.
- Repeat with the remaining bread, cheese, onions, and quarter of butter.
- Bring a large skillet to medium heat and add the sandwiches butter side down. Spread the remaining butter onto the slices of bread that are facing up and lightly sprinkle with a little kosher salt.
- Cook until the bread is beautifully browned and the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes per side.