Delicious spicy chipotle quesadillas, filled with scallions, cilantro, chipotle peppers and jack cheese served with a delicious Greek yogurt dip!
I live in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles, and for the most part, I really like it!
Being able to walk or bike to so many things is great and extremely different from the way I grew up, which is probably part of the reason I enjoy it so much. Growing up, my family lived in a small town about a 30 minute drive from everything. To go to the grocery store, the movies, and even high school, was a drive.
Now Stephen and I can bike to the grocery store, the mall, and our Sunday breakfast spot
I also love having a small Vallarta Supermarket literally a block and a half away from my apartment. For those of you who don’t live in Southern California — they are all over the place here. Vallarta Supermarkets carry the normal grocery store foods (meat, dairy and produce) but cater to the Hispanic community. Their cheese selection is great. I purchased the queso fresco for my tasty spicy potato tacos recipe there.
One of the things I always buy there are the corn tortillas. They are super inexpensive (about 5 cents per tortilla) and have that homemade corn tortilla deliciousness about them. Since one package is gigantic, I usually freeze them in batches of 10 and thaw them overnight in the fridge whenever we start to run low.
I love using them for homemade chips (a perfect companion to some avocado cilantro Greek yogurt dip) and these quesadillas that Stephen and I eat at least once per week!
I usually make them with just the cilantro, scallions, and cheese, but guess what…I had a can of chipotle peppers left over from a job, so I figured I would throw them into the quesadillas. The peppers added some much needed heat to the quesadillas and made them super delicious. I am now convinced that I have to include the peppers in our weekly quesadillas all the time! We also like to eat these with a way easy Greek yogurt dip. Just add some cumin, chili powder, and salt to taste and you are set.
Stephen and I usually eat these for dinner with some veggies, but they would also be great as an appetizer for a party or a snack. If you give them a try, let me know how you like them in the comments below!
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 4 canned chipotle peppers packed in adobo, finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded jack cheese
- ¾ cup greek yogurt
- ¾ tsp. chili powder
- ¾ tsp. cumin
- salt to taste
- Place 1 tsp. oil onto a large cast iron pan (or large skillet) and set to medium-high heat.
- Add two of the tortillas side by side, and top each with a quarter each of the scallions, cilantro, chipotle peppers and ¼ cup cheese. Top each with another tortilla.
- Cook until the cheese has melted and the tortillas have lightly browned, 2-3 minutes per side.
- Add remaining oil to the pan, and repeat with remaining quesadilla ingredients.
- Cut each quesadilla into six wedges and serve with dip!
- In a medium bowl mix spices with yogurt and add salt to taste.